With over 70% of adults in the U.S. overweight or obese, the weight loss industry rakes in over $72 billion per year. From pills and potions to programs and meal plans, the options for losing weight seem endless.
Red Mountain Weight Loss aims to stand out by providing personalized medical weight loss care. But are Red Mountain’s claims backed by science? Does it deliver lasting results?
In this comprehensive Red Mountain Weight Loss review, we’ll examine every aspect of this program to help you make an informed decision. You’ll learn:
- How their customized plans work
- What medical services they provide
- Expected weight loss
- Membership costs
- Pros and cons of the program
- Whether it’s worth the price
By the end, you’ll have the full picture on if Red Mountain Weight Loss is right for your needs and budget.
Table of Contents
Overview of Red Mountain Weight Loss
Red Mountain Weight Loss is a medically supervised weight loss program with over 15 brick-and-mortar clinics across Arizona and Texas.
Founded in 1995 by Dr. Suzanne Bentz, Red Mountain aims to go beyond generic diet and exercise advice. Instead, they promote personalized care tailored to each individual’s unique needs.
Some key aspects that set Red Mountain Weight Loss apart:
Requires an initial medical evaluation: New patients undergo lab testing and a physical exam to identify any underlying issues contributing to weight gain. This allows physicians to customize appropriate treatment plans.
Prescription medications: In addition to diet, Red Mountain utilizes prescription medications, supplements, and vitamin injections intended to enhance weight loss and minimize hunger. However, use of these medications will increase program costs.
Proprietary diet plan: The Red Mountain Lifestyle nutrition plan limits carbohydrates and calories. No specific branded foods or supplements are required though. Patients eat regular grocery store foods.
Ongoing medical supervision: Patients have regular follow-ups to monitor progress, provide accountability, and adjust treatment plans as needed. This aims to promote long-term weight management.
Now that we’ve covered the basics of how Red Mountain functions, let’s analyze the specifics of their programs and services.
Overview of Red Mountain Weight Loss Plans and Services
Red Mountain Weight Loss offers two main programs:
Red Mountain Lifestyle Plan
This is their foundation program focusing on calorie-controlled, lower carb meal plans personalized to the patient.
- Starts with comprehensive medical exam and lab work
- Patients receive custom nutrition plan based on health needs
- Food choices are flexible, no pre-packaged meals required
- In-person or virtual weekly coaching sessions for accountability and education
- Supplements may be recommended to assist with hunger, cravings, and energy
- Ongoing medical monitoring
This plan aims for patients to lose 1-3 lbs per week on average.
RM3 Rapid Weight Loss Plan
RM3 combines the Red Mountain Lifestyle nutrition plan with prescription medications and vitamin injections for more aggressive weight loss.
In addition to the services in the lifestyle plan, RM3 also includes:
- Prescription appetite suppressant medication
- Weekly B12 and lipotropic injections
- Proprietary metabolic “fat burner” injections
- Recommended water pills and potassium supplementation
RM3 claims patients can lose 4-7 lbs per week typically. However, results will vary based on the individual and adherence.
Additional Red Mountain services beyond these two core programs include:
- Body composition analysis
- Blood tests
- EKG heart monitoring
- Exercise physiology testing
- Medication management
- Micro-nutrient testing
- Sleep apnea testing
- Stress management services
Red Mountain aims to provide complete medical oversight for weight loss and overall wellness. Now let’s look at what results patients can realistically expect.
Expected Weight Loss on Red Mountain Programs
As covered, Red Mountain claims patients can lose around 1-3 lbs per week with the lifestyle plan or up to 7 lbs weekly with RM3.
But what do clinical studies and online reviews reveal about actual results from Red Mountain Weight Loss?
First, research on medically supervised weight loss programs similar to Red Mountain generally show an average weight loss around 15-25 lbs over a 12 week period when program guidelines are strictly followed.
However, results can vary significantly based on the individual. Here are some general weight loss averages reported by Red Mountain patients:
- Patients following the plans closely report losing around 2-5 lbs per week on average
- Typical patients experience a 15-20% reduction in excess body weight over a 6 month period
- Online reviews commonly cite weight loss results of 30-50 lbs total over a few months of Red Mountain participation
As with any lifestyle change, weight loss rates depend heavily on the patient’s consistency implementing the eating plan and other guidance. Results require commitment.
Critically, while significant weight loss is possible in the short-term, Red Mountain receives more mixed reviews when it comes to maintaining weight loss long-term after leaving the structured program. We’ll analyze sustainability next.
Is the Weight Loss Sustainable?
Like most diets, the pivotal question becomes whether Red Mountain Weight Loss sets patients up for lasting success after the program ends.
Here are some considerations for long-term weight maintenance:
Behavior changes are critical – Simply following rigid rules during the program isn’t enough. Patients must make fundamental lifestyle changes to sustain weight loss over years. Does Red Mountain adequately focus on this?
Metabolic slowing may occur – Very low calorie diets can cause RMR (resting metabolic rate) to plummet down to 800–1200 calories per day in some patients. This makes keeping weight off extremely challenging. Slow weight loss paired with strength training helps preserve RMR.
Returning to “normal” eating usually leads to weight regain – Maintaining a 20-30% calorie reduction is typically needed for long-term weight maintenance. But drastic changes to normal eating patterns are hard to sustain indefinitely. Slowly transitioning eating habits is ideal.
Ongoing accountability helps – Having continued check-ins and weighing helps promote awareness and catch regains early. But Red Mountain is a short-term program, making this challenging.
Reviews on the sustainability of Red Mountain’s results are mixed:
- Some cite keeping most weight off by sticking with the healthy habits learned
- Others regained most or all weight loss after leaving the structured program
- Long-term success seems very dependent on the individual
The bottom line – Red Mountain Weight Loss can produce significant weight loss in the short term, especially if using the RM3 plan. However, their short-term program format may not adequately support the lifelong behavior changes required for long-term weight maintenance.
Now let’s look at the pros and cons of participating in Red Mountain Weight Loss.
Pros and Cons of Red Mountain Weight Loss
Red Mountain has advantages that set it apart from standard commercial diets, but there are also some downsides to consider.
- Personalized medical care from physicians and nurses
- Prescription medications for enhanced weight loss in RM3
- No required branded foods or supplements
- Significant short-term weight loss is achievable
- In-person or virtual options available
- Interest-free financing makes costs more manageable
- Very expensive compared to commercial plans
- Short-term program may not teach sustainable habits
- Drastic calorie cuts can cause metabolic slowing
- Risk of weight regain after leaving structured program
- Side effects from medications and rapid weight loss
- Compliance is still left up to the individual
To determine if the pros outweigh the cons for your needs, closely consider your budget, lifestyle, and personal health traits.
Next let’s break down the costs.
How Much Does Red Mountain Weight Loss Cost?
Red Mountain Weight Loss is expensive compared to standard commercial diet programs. Here are the general costs to expect:
- $99 doctor consultation fee – Required first appointment for medical assessment
- Lab testing fees – Expect to pay $100-$300 for initial blood tests, EKG, etc.
- Program fees – The Lifestyle plan costs $300-500 monthly after enrollment fees. RM3 is $500-700 monthly. Often a 3 month minimum commitment.
- Prescriptions & injections – These can cost $100-300+ monthly depending on what’s prescribed. Usually not covered by insurance.
- Supplements – Optional recommended supplements typically cost $50-150 monthly.
- Maintenance – Lower cost follow-up monthly fees after completing active weight loss phase.
In total, expect to invest around $1000-2000+ for a full 3 month weight loss cycle on Red Mountain plans. Financing options are available to break up costs interest-free.
While very expensive upfront, some patients view the expense as worthwhile given structure and medical oversight provided. Just be sure to budget appropriately.
Now let’s take a closer look at the side effects and safety considerations.
Potential Side Effects and Safety Considerations
With any aggressive diet paired with prescription medications or injections, possible side effects must be considered. Reported side effects of Red Mountain Weight Loss can include:
Lifestyle plan potential side effects:
- Headaches, fatigue, irritability from calorie restriction
- Gallstones from rapid weight loss
- Nutrient deficiencies if food groups excluded
- Menstrual irregularities in women
RM3 potential side effects:
- Anxiety, restlessness, and sleep difficulties from stimulant medications
- Diarrhea or constipation from supplements
- Dizziness, muscle cramps, or heart palpitations from B12 injections
- Dangerously low potassium levels
Rapid weight loss also stresses the body, especially for those with chronic conditions affected by weight. Medical monitoring helps minimize risks.
Those with health concerns need physician approval before attempting RM3 or very low calorie dieting to ensure safety. Side effects should never be ignored.
Now let’s look at what happens should you decide Red Mountain isn’t providing the desired results.
Red Mountain Weight Loss Refund Policy
Red Mountain Weight Loss offers a fairly generous refund window should patients be unsatisfied with results. Here are the specifics:
- 100% refund of initial enrollment and assessment fees within 5 days
- Partial refund of around 50% if leaving within 30 days
- Pro-rated monthly fee refunds if weight loss goals aren’t being met after diligently following the program for at least 28 days
Refunds apply to Red Mountain fees only. Prescription or medical service refunds are determined case-by-case. Supplements must be returned unopened.
The bottom line – they provide time to evaluate if the program is right for you and your needs. If not, they do allow an exit.
Now that we’ve covered all the nitty-gritty details, let’s summarize the key points in deciding whether Red Mountain Weight Loss is worth trying for your needs.
Is Red Mountain Weight Loss Worth the Costs?
Here are some key considerations in determining if Red Mountain Weight Loss is the right fit:
Consider it if:
- You want robust medical oversight and care
- You’ve struggled to lose weight with basic diet and exercise
- Having structured accountability helps motivate you
- You can afford the premium pricing
Look elsewhere if:
- You prefer making gradual nutrition changes vs. drastic dieting
- You’re uneasy about taking prescription medications
- Money is tight and you need a budget-friendly option
- You have limited access to in-person clinic visits
The bottom line: Red Mountain Weight Loss can deliver significant weight loss in the short term for those who can afford the high costs and are comfortable with medical weight loss interventions. However, sustaining results long-term comes down to maintaining the behavioral changes and healthy habits learned in the program.
While not a miracle cure, Red Mountain Weight Loss can be a helpful jump start under proper medical supervision for some individuals struggling to lose excess weight through basic diet and exercise alone. The ideal patient is proactive, engaged in the process, and committed to implementing the lifestyle changes needed for success.
Hopefully this comprehensive review provided an in-depth, unbiased overview of what Red Mountain Weight Loss realistically provides. No program can make you lose weight without effort on your part. But programs like Red Mountain aim to give you the structure, accountability, and resources to empower your success.
As you consider your weight loss options, focus on choosing a program that fits your individual needs, preferences, and budget to set you up for long-lasting results. With some determination and the right support, you absolutely can achieve the healthy body you envision.