Did you know you could use sesame oil for hair? No, I am not talking about sesame oil in soaps, shampoos, skin moisturizers, cosmetics, and medicines, but using sesame oil directly on your hair and scalp. Natural beauty enthusiasts do this.
In this post we will look at the various hair-related uses that people are using sesame oil for, the hair benefits it has, and how to use it.
Table of Contents
Benefits of sesame oil for hair
Prevents hair thinning and hair loss
People use sesame oil for hair because it is a source of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. These are considered essential fats from your diet that your body needs to acquire.
According to a report published by NCBI in 2017, it indicates that for one to be deficient in these fatty acids could affect hair loss. And that while more and more comprehensive research is needed, having more of these essential fats could boost hair growth for some individuals.
Sesame seeds might be useful, too
There are many nutrients in whole sesame seeds, some of which have been related to enhancing hair growth.
Many cases of hair loss and hair thinning may occur if you’re not getting the right nutrients. It happens because hair can fall out, become thinner, or grow more slowly without the proper building blocks.
Nutrient addition may help to prevent or reduce hair loss and hair thinning. Nutrient forms present in sesame seeds include:
- Vitamin B-1
Here’s a link to get sesame seed from Amazon on hot deals
Helps Soften Dry hair
Sesame oil is an emollient, which means it can help soften your skin and make your hair strands look smoother. The same fatty acids that make it useful for treating hair loss also make it suitable for treating dry hair and scalp topically.
Sesame oil includes the same kinds of safe fatty acids that are applied to shampoos, skin creams, and make-up. It contains:
• Oleic acid
• Linolenic acid
• Palmitic acid
• Linoleic acid
• Stearic acid
Help moisturize the hair and scalp
With sesame oil, the fatty acids help penetrate deep into the skin. Irritation and inflammation on the scalp and around the roots of the hair may trigger hair to fall out in patches.
However, fatty acids help soothe the scalp and its roots and cure them. Sesame oil may strengthen small, bald spots or thinning hair regions.
Additionally, sesame oil may also help in bringing certain nutrients into the skin.
Sesame oil treats dandruff
Sesame oil and sesame seeds possess antibacterial and antifungal effects. This may aid in the prevention or reduction of severe scalp and skin infections. The use of sesame oil for hair and scalp will help reduce dandruff, which is often triggered by a bacteria or a fungus.
Using sesame oil for hair has some occlusive properties, as it could help the scalp remain moisturized if added to a clean scalp. This may help prevent and manage dryness, flaking, and scratching or itching of the scalp.
Sesame oil for hair leads to shinier and healthier hair
Using sesame oil for hair as a hair mask may help to strengthen your hair. It may help prevent breakage of the hair and split ends. Sesame oil fills in holes and creates a defensive layer on the hair with these emollient and occlusive substances.
A treatment with sesame oil can help to reduce the amount of water that each hair strand absorbs when you shower. Too much water within a hair strand makes it swelling.
Consequently, this is deteriorating and harmful. Sesame oil can help make your hair thicker, smoother, and shinier.
How to detect sesame oil in hair products
Many consumer hair items are packed with additional sesame oil. Specific names on shampoos, conditioners, and hair treatments may contain the sesame oil.
• Sodium sesameseedate
• Sesamum indicum
• Hydrogenated sesame seed oil
• Sesame oil unsaponifiable
Finding the above names on a product means the product contains the wonderful sesame oil for hair. Browse all sesame oil products on Amazon here. Ensure you go for the ones with great 5-star reviews and recommendations.
How to treat the hair and scalp with a sesame oil mask
You can also do a perfect combination of sesame oil by mixing:
- Sesame oil with Almond Oil for perfect hair condition
- Sesame oil with Aloe Vera for protection against harmful UV rays and sun damages.
- Sesame oil with Avocado to help nourish your hair with Vitamin E with a high antioxidant content
- Sesame oil with Coconut Oil to help nourish your hair shaft and control frizz
- Sesame oil with Curry Leaves for easy hair growth and fight against hair weakening.
- Sesame oil with Ginger to help boost hair shine and also softens the hair.
- Sesame oil with Egg to add protein to your hair shaft
- Sesame oil with Honey, mixed as a bleaching agent to help moisturize, condition, and lighten your hair color to glitter.
- Sesame oil with Fenugreek to treat hair dandruff and keep the hair stronger and healthier.
- Sesame oil with olive oil for perfect nourishment of the hair and to condition the hair for faster growth.
Procedures of application
- Pour about 2 to 3 spoonful of the sesame oil into a glass bowl and warm slightly in the microwave for 15 seconds
- Gently massage the sesame oil starting from your hairline to the back of your scalp with your fingers.
- When you are done with the massaging, use a towel or shower cap to cover your hair.
- Allow the sesame oil mask to rest in your hair for at least 1 hour and above.
- When its done, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner to glitter and shine for perfect result.
The Bottom line
Sesame oil can block pores, as with any form of oil. And this will irritate your skin and your scalp. Additionally, clogged pores may trigger hair follicles to break off as well. However, you can stop this by leaving pure sesame oil on your scalp and hair for a short duration.
Also, make sure the skin and hair are cleaned out of all of the sesame oil. After a hair treatment of sesame oil, using shampoo and warm water, gently massage the scalp to ensure that all the oil is cleaned out.
Sesame oil, also known as sesame seed and gingelly oil, is pressed with sesame seeds from plants grown in warmer parts of the world. The seeds compose of about 50 percent oil.
Sesame oil is abundant in a variety of nutrients required for your body and hair. So you can help your hair wellbeing by applying sesame oil.
Using this oil will make your hair grow, get smoother, and look brighter.
Do note that hair loss and hair modifications may occur for a number of reasons. And many medical and hereditary disorders have the potential to cause balding, patchy hair loss, or rough, brittle hair. Hair loss is also correlated with shifts in hormones and certain drugs. Please see your doctor if you are experiencing any kind of hair loss. You may need medical attention and treatment.
P.S: We include products we think should be useful to our audience with special discounts direct from the distributing company. If you make a purchase through the links on this page, we may earn a small commission which will have no negative effect on you.
What are some of the benefits of sesame oil for hair?
Sesame oil offers the following hair benefits:
1. It helps to prevent hair loss and thinning
2. It helps to moisturize the hair and scalp
3. It helps to treat dandruff
4. It promotes healthier and shinier hair
What are the nutrients contained in sesame seeds?
Nutrient forms present in sesame seeds include:
• Vitamin B-1