It is common to see bodybuilders having stretch marks on biceps, shoulders, and thighs. However, the appearance of stretch marks is characteristic of puberty, weight gain, and pregnancy.
If you observe stretch marks on your body, you are not alone; according to a study, up to 80 percent of people have them. The remedies mentioned in this article can help you address stretch marks if their appearance bothers you.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks (striae) occurs when the middle layer of your skin (dermis) tears because your skin is stretched faster than it can expand. These marks begin as dark coloured striations for many people and gradually lighten up and form a scar-like appearance.
What causes stretch marks on biceps?
There could be many reasons why you suddenly start seeing stretch marks coming out on your body. The following reasons could cause stretch marks on biceps:
- Fast growth during puberty
- Rapid muscle growth from athletic and bodybuilding training
Also, adrenal gland disorders could cause stretch marks, for example:
• Marfan syndrome
• Cushing condition
• Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
Ways to treat stretch marks on the bicep
If your goal is to eliminate the stretch marks on your biceps, a variety of treatment options have proven effective.
However, no therapy can remove stretch marks entirely. Some treatments for stretch marks on biceps are:
- Laser Treatment: Laser therapy is used for the repair and regeneration of skin cells. It weakens and flattens the outline of stretch marks. Although it doesn’t claim to delete stretch marks, it does erase them and render them less visible for certain individuals. Total recovery may require twenty sessions over several weeks.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): A 2020 research in Dermatological Surgery published in Researchgate proposed that treatments of platelet-rich plasma would help to regenerate collagen, resulting in less noticeable stretch marks. Also, another research published by NCBI showed that PRP injections are more effective than tretinoin injections.
- Microneedles: Microneedling causes the development of elastin and collagen by puncturing tiny needles on the top layer of the skin. Full care will include up to six procedures over approximately six months.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion sands the entire surface layer of the skin using an abrasive tool. A research in 2014 found that microdermabrasion has the same effect amount on stretch marks as tretinoin cream.
Self-care for stretch marks
Stretch marks also become lighter and almost vanish once the stretching source has been removed. Additionally, you can support their fading off by doing the following:
- Avoiding corticosteroids
It is important to avoid corticosteroid creams, lotions, and pills as they can reduce your skin’s elasticity, resulting in conditions that could lead to stretch marks on biceps.
The food you consume influences the general health of your skin and thus can cause stretch marks. To prevent stretch marks, make sure your diet is healthy, balanced, and rich in vitamins and minerals, such as:
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
- Stay hydrated
Drink plenty of water. About eight glasses of water should be consumed a day. Proper hydration will help your skin stay flexible and pliable, among other benefits.
Natural health advocates advocate a range of home remedies to reduce the presence of excess marks or possibly remove them. One of such remedies for stretch marks on biceps includes massaging them with oils such as:
- olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Almond oil
A 2015 study by NCBI stated that olive oil and cocoa butter had no positive or adverse effects. The 2012 research nevertheless showed that the application of almond oil and massage produced promising results in decreasing the development of stretch marks in pregnant women.
Researchers are uncertain whether the oil or treatment is linked to the beneficial benefits of oil massage.
- Use of gels and creams for stretch marks on biceps
When your doctor identifies the origin of the stretch marks on your biceps, they can consider using a topical cream or gel to fade the appearance. These therapies may include:
- Tretinoin cream
Tretinoin is a vitamin A derivative, which is sometimes recommended based on a limited 2014 report and a 2001 research that proved effective in fading the clinical appearance of pregnancy-related striae.
- Silicone Gel
Used often to treat hypertrophic scars, silicone gel based on a 2013 study increased levels of collagen and lowered stretch mark melanin levels. Additionally, silicone gel also eliminates scratching that may be linked to stretch marks.
- Tretinoin cream
Home Remedies to treat stretch marks on biceps
It is true that anyone could have stretch marks on biceps, but only few knew that there are effective home remedies to treat it. These remedies are effective but it needs consistent and relentless approach towards the application. Also note that your stretch marks may not clear completely at first, however the more you apply these natural remedies, you will keep having significant changes as your days in therapy progresses.
5 proven remedies to treat stretch marks on biceps include:
- Intake of Vitamin A (Retinoid): Take vitamin A orally daily or start using the extract of vitamin A on the spot where you have the stretch marks. Vitamin A, also known as retinoid makes the skin appear smoother, soft, and glowing; so taking certain foods that are very rich in vitamin A will help in keeping your skin smooth and thus gradually fading away the stretch marks on your biceps. See the study published by researchers at JAMA on how Vitamin A could significantly bring back your desired skin texture.
- Sugar Therapy: You can exfoliate the stretch marks on your biceps by rubbing sugar in the area. Dermatologists have has approved this therapy as a proven method to gradually remove dirt like stretch marks on the outer surface of the skin.
- Application of Coconut oil: Applying virgin coconut oil to the stretch marks on your biceps every day should help clear the marks to a greater extent. Coconut oil considered safe for all humans unless otherwise, you’re allergic to coconuts.
- Use of Aloe vera: After your shower (Morning and night), get a freshly untapped aloe vera from its plant and apply the liquid directly on the bicep region with stretch marks. Do this continually for weeks until your stretch mark fades to your considerable satisfaction.
- Use of Hyaluronic acid in skincare products like serums and creams: According to Dr. Rachel Nazarian, “a dermatologist at the Schweiger Dermatology Group in New York City”, he says
“hyaluronic acid brings moisture to the surface of your skin. Because of its ability to draw and hold water, it can be used as a humectant in your skincare regimen.”
Want to know more about the bicep size for both men and women? see our article on the 4 thing you should know about the average bicep size
Having stretch marks on biceps is not uncommon. Nonetheless, whether they render you embarrassed or self-conscious, you have several recovery choices to choose from. When you are making a decision about which option is better for you, keep in mind that the stretch marks are unlikely to vanish totally.
When to see the doctor about stretch marks
Do speak with your doctor before deciding on your stretch mark removal route to gain a good understanding of the possible side effects and what to expect from the various options you have for treating your stretch marks.
P.S: We include products we think should be useful to our audience with special discounts direct from the distributing company. If you make a purchase through the links on this page, we may earn a small commission which will have no negative effect on you.